Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Using mica clay

I took some photos of the ware I have been making with low-fire mica clay. This is a commercial body from New Mexico Clay Co., is supposed to be what they Pueblo Indians used for cook pots, and I wanted to experiment with it.

Here are some photos of the pots after they have been thrown and previous to firing:

A variety of Medieval Cookware, serving bowls, skillets, pipkins, chafing dishes, and more in Mica Clay

A closer view of a pipkin from the mica clay. What looks like moisture is the reflection of the mica.


I am very anxious to try these out once they are fired.


Although New Mexico Clay was a good company to work with, shipping makes this clay impractical, my plan is to prospect around here for mica clay I hope soon.

1 comment:

Wendy Sarno said...

Can you share with me how you finish your pots? In the past I have used a micaceous slip and then burnished with a fine mica. Are yours wheel thrown?