Monday, December 1, 2014

Maiolica-Majolica 3

Now I reached a time that I was not pleased with the way the maiolica was working for me. Painting the maiolica glazes on the maiolica base reminded me way too much of trying to paint on top of powdered chalk. I tried a few different base glazes, some of which were very difficult to work with.
In order to practice, I made many small apothecary jars like the designs of apothecary jars in historic maiolica. They hold about 2 tablespoons of spices or other things and proved very popular. The tops are rounds of linen that have been soaked in bees wax. Rather amazingly practical and useful.

These jars were made for a friend according to his directions. The designs came out very well, but the glazes were pitted. I discovered that to rectify this problem I needed to bisque fire the pottery at a much higher temperature to combat outgassing in the clay, and that has worked. Lesson learned.

This is an example of some of the other problems I had with trying to "paint on chalk".