Sunday, May 17, 2009

Furniture! made of clay

The local branch of the Women's Art Caucus issued a challenge for its members. The plan is to do a work of art with the theme of a chair. We will then hold a show this summer called, of course "Madame Chair". There will probably be some wonderfully painted chairs and sculptures using chairs as armatures. Since I love the use of clay, I decided to make clay garden stools.

This stool is about 15 & 1/2 inches tall. It will shrink by the final firing of course. The carving is inspired by a French Medieval Jug. However, the overall shape and design together remind me of African art.

This stool was inspired by my daughter, who eats, drinks, and sleeps dance. It is about 17" tall.
The Orange line was drawn with acrylic paint to give me a guideline when I do the carving. The orange line will burn out in the first firing.

A close up of the carving, I still have some finishing work to do on it or so it appears.

Because they are intended to be used and sat upon I made them thick. They used a lot of clay and it is difficult to move them from place to place. Even moving them off the wheel head was a big production. Lowering them into my big oval kiln will require help. The assistance of more than one person in addition to myself will be required. Drying time will also be a challenge, I am not certain they will be completed by the due date. Clay work takes time.

No comments: